Council Members and Their Functions
Department of Education (DepEd)
- Provide the Council with information on research findings and programs/projects outcomes for information and utilization in policy formulation;
- Provide technical assistance to local government units (LGUs), NGOs and other government organizations (GOs) on the sustainability of literacy efforts; and
- Issue sectoral policies/announcements congruent with LCC policies on the universalization of literacy.
Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)
- Issue appropriate issuances on the universalization of literacy congruent with that of the Council;
- Ensure the integration of literacy in all development plans, programs and advocacies at the local level through policy issuances and resolutions, among others; and
- Update the Council regarding activities undertaken which concern literacy endeavors in the community.
National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA)
- Ensure the inclusion of literacy policies and priorities in the national and regional development plans;
- Assist in identifying possible sources of funds and other forms of support for literacy programs and projects;
- Advise the Council on related policies and development programs; and
- Provide technical assistance to the Secretariat as directed by the Council.
Philippine Information Agency (PIA)
- Lead in supporting the advocacy efforts of the Council from the national down to the local levels; and
- Develop advocacy materials and programs that strengthen literacy endeavors intended for various target audience.
Philippine Normal University (PNU)
- Lead in mobilizing the academic community to support efforts to achieve universal literacy, including conduct of research on teachers’ KAVS in literacy skills development;
- Provide technical assistance to other members of the academic community on promotion of literacy; and
- Inform the Council on activities undertaken by academic community concerning literacy promotion.
Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) involved in Literacy Education
- Develop linkages with the LGUs for community-based literacy development programs; and
- Impart insights to the Council regarding literacy efforts from civil society perspective.
Senate Committee on Education and House of Representatives Committee on Basic Education and Culture:
- Formulate national policies and standards in terms of programs and policy directions on literacy;
- Assist in the review and/or amendment of existing laws/issuances for an effective system of literacy efforts; and
- Perform oversight function by investigating and evaluating the execution and effectiveness of laws, including pertinent implementing rules and regulations, the principal subject matter of which are within its jurisdiction, to determine whether such laws are being carried out in accordance with the intent of Congress and the necessity of proposing new or amendatory legislation.